A couple days ago HTC released the Vive Phone Companion app in the Google Play store. This app pairs your smartphone to your Vive headset and allows you to correspond with incoming calls and text messages. If you are sitting around waiting for your Vive to arrive, now would be a good time download the new Vive Phone Companion app. At least then, you’d have something to open! We’re in the same boat so we’re technically picking on ourselves.
Here’s an overview of the Vive Phone Service this app is a part of: Vive Phone Service
What does the Vive Phone Companion app do?
With this app your phone will connect over Bluetooth to your headset and will open a direct link to incoming texts, calls and even calendar event notices. The VPC app will walk you through the process to get your phone connected.
WARNING! Don’t put your headset on while walking through these instructions. Someone might get hurt!
Although the notifications will eventually pass through the lenses of your Vive, the handshake is performed between your phone and computer. When that is complete you’ll be able to go into the Vive system settings to confirm the process has been initiated.
When you receive a new notification while wearing your Vive you will have to exit the VR experience you’re in and go to a tab to retrieve the info. If it’s a text and you want to reply you’ll only have a list of quick responses to choose from. If you get a call, you can take that call with the Vive on and the built-in mic will allow you to talk to the person on the other side while their responses will be fed to the headphones you’re using with your Vive.
While we are finally seeing this app on the Play store we were unable to find it in the Apple app store at this time. HTC confirmed with me that this feature will be available across multiple mobile platforms.
Play store app: Vive Phone Companion app
- Get your Vive Deluxe Audio Strap today! - June 6, 2017
- New PC bundle financing options with Vive - April 27, 2017
- Vive Tracker sells out in three days - April 7, 2017
- Vive anniversary deals are live! - April 5, 2017
- Back the PP Gun get a Vive Tracker in March, err April - March 2, 2017
- Sign-ups for Vive Tracker now open - January 25, 2017
- Vive hardware announced during CES 2017 - January 20, 2017
- VR For Impact offers $10million to develop for humanity - January 19, 2017
- Digital Trends calls Vive Best Product of 2016 - January 1, 2017
- Vive After Christmas Sale - December 27, 2016