To commemorate the HTC Vive pre-order launch day the HTC team partnered with Google to create a unique challenge that somewhat simulates the actions you could make if you had the Vive with you right now. Completing the challenges could land you with a new Vive system of your own. HTC wants to know if you are Vive Ready? If so, “We’ll all be home for supper.”
This Vive Ready challenge is optimized for Google Chrome on a powerful PC and connects your smartphone as a tool for completing the challenges. It’s a very interactive combination. The scenarios in the browser had me waving my smartphone in the air or swinging it at the screen.
For starters, there’s a story line where you venture through a city called Artima. You begin as an agent and you are chased by a pizza guy who flings pizzas at you from his truck. Your job is to wave your phone, or pizza slicer at the oncoming waves of flying saucers; pizzas. If you aren’t fast enough a pie will hit you and your rating will drop. Be sure to hold on tight to your phone, because you don’t want it to slip through your grip and slam into your computer or the floor.
The next challenge puts you on the tracks in a subway. Your mission is to use the three lanes of railway to dodge one or two trains at a time. You swing your arm broadly across your body to move between the lanes.
The third challenge, which never completed for me, involved waving an arm overhead to keep a helicopter flying high enough to avoid being attacked by something scaling the city’s buildings and lunging at our chopper.
Apparently, you need to have a capable PC and decent internet to run the challenge. Looks like we have neither at the moment, because our experience was down right annoying and a twenty minute waste of time. As a note of advice, don’t start with a Chromebook, because it will likely not be able to load all the graphics during your session. Maybe that’s how it was designed and if so we think it was a terrible joke.
If you are up for the challenge and you have a PC plus some juice left of your phone, head over to HTCVR for a chance to win a Vive of your own. While you’re at HTC’s VR website take a look at the pre-order page and consider buying the Vive for yourself.
- Get your Vive Deluxe Audio Strap today! - June 6, 2017
- New PC bundle financing options with Vive - April 27, 2017
- Vive Tracker sells out in three days - April 7, 2017
- Vive anniversary deals are live! - April 5, 2017
- Back the PP Gun get a Vive Tracker in March, err April - March 2, 2017
- Sign-ups for Vive Tracker now open - January 25, 2017
- Vive hardware announced during CES 2017 - January 20, 2017
- VR For Impact offers $10million to develop for humanity - January 19, 2017
- Digital Trends calls Vive Best Product of 2016 - January 1, 2017
- Vive After Christmas Sale - December 27, 2016