As August came to a close, Steel Wool Studios announced a round of Series A funding had also ended and the goal of $5 million was reached compliments of HTC. HTC didn’t give them the remaining dollars to reach their goal; HTC funded the entire purse.
Who is Steel Wool Studios and why are they investment-worthy?
Does 60 years of combined experience in feature animation sound good on a company’s portfolio? The lead team for Steel Wool Studios reigns from a background with Pixar and LucasFilm and have already pumped out two titles on Steam VR.
Their latest title, Mars Odyssey is an interactive simulation and is the first of Steel Wool Studios’ many projects to be completed with HTC’s dollars. So HTC could begin to earn a return on the investment almost immediately after closing the deal if the two agreed to share profits from funded projects.
The Steam page for Mars Odyssey suggests that Rift Touch support is coming in the near future which goes to show that HTC is doing all that it can to help grow virtual reality across multiple platforms even if they aren’t made by HTC.
Get a copy of Mars Odyssey in the next 40 hours at a 40% discount off the full retail price of $7.99 by clicking the link below.
Another project from the team was released in April and goes by the name of Quar: Battle for Gate 18. It’s a turn-based strategic VR experience that reminds me of the good old Command and Conquer days. Check out a teaser from their channel on YouTube.
Viveport Exclusive Content
While HTC does make a good effort to help the VR industry there has to be a side to this deal the directly benefits HTC. Could it be that the next fruit of Steel Wool Studios labor is exclusively delivered on HTC’s upcoming platform, Viveport? HTC wants this source to be a home for cross-device content and the press release says that funds will go towards projects reaching beyond the Vive:
The funding will support development of multiple medium-pushing VR projects already underway…
We’ll be following this partnership very closely and hope more details emerge over the next few months. Maybe a roadmap of what’s to come.
Source: SWS Press Release
- Get your Vive Deluxe Audio Strap today! - June 6, 2017
- New PC bundle financing options with Vive - April 27, 2017
- Vive Tracker sells out in three days - April 7, 2017
- Vive anniversary deals are live! - April 5, 2017
- Back the PP Gun get a Vive Tracker in March, err April - March 2, 2017
- Sign-ups for Vive Tracker now open - January 25, 2017
- Vive hardware announced during CES 2017 - January 20, 2017
- VR For Impact offers $10million to develop for humanity - January 19, 2017
- Digital Trends calls Vive Best Product of 2016 - January 1, 2017
- Vive After Christmas Sale - December 27, 2016