Stocks rose 5.3% today for HTC Corp. when news broke that the company plans to launch a division fully in support of virtual reality. In a report from the Commercial Times, speculation that the company’s CEO and Chairwoman, Cher Wang is gaining the support of investors as plans could unfold regarding a new company owned by HTC and Cher Wang for the anticipated growth of the VR industry.
Developing a new company for virtual reality will help the company maintain a proper balance on the sales of mobile and virtual reality products. As we’ve seen over the past couple years, HTC’s mobile stake hold has been slipping and this plan could keep VR funds from being held hostage if the mobile company saw too much of a decline in sales.
According to Focus Taiwan, Peter Chou (former HTC CEO) originally had the idea to split the VR project from the smartphone company, but it may have been too early for the company to get behind the idea as it was unclear if the Vive would gain as much traction as it has.
Although it’s unreleased at this point, the HTC Vive is the leading PC-based virtual reality experience and HTC is poised to go further into development of the next generation VR and AR systems thanks to all the supporting partners in the dawning world of virtual reality.
Cher Wang is the original founder of HTC and has been with the company through thick and thin. In the most recent years, she has become a more visible face for the company by stepping into the CEO role and attending major press events for product launches.
UPDATE: On the evening of the date this article was posted, HTC Corp. published on their investor site and via email that the company does not plan to spawn a new company specifically for VR development.
Recent media reports in Taiwan, such as by United Evening News, stating that Cher Wang is planning to spin off HTC’s VR operations into an independent entity that will be wholly owned by Wang is incorrect. HTC will continue to develop our VR business to further maximize value for shareholders.
- Get your Vive Deluxe Audio Strap today! - June 6, 2017
- New PC bundle financing options with Vive - April 27, 2017
- Vive Tracker sells out in three days - April 7, 2017
- Vive anniversary deals are live! - April 5, 2017
- Back the PP Gun get a Vive Tracker in March, err April - March 2, 2017
- Sign-ups for Vive Tracker now open - January 25, 2017
- Vive hardware announced during CES 2017 - January 20, 2017
- VR For Impact offers $10million to develop for humanity - January 19, 2017
- Digital Trends calls Vive Best Product of 2016 - January 1, 2017
- Vive After Christmas Sale - December 27, 2016